A man has choked to death while taking part in a hot dog eating competition.
Walter Eagle Tail, 47, died during the contest in Custer, South Dakota, over the Fourth of July weekend when the food got lodged in his throat.
A pie eating contest had been planned for the next in the town, but it was cancelled as a result of Mr Tail’s death.
Custer County Sheriff Rick Wheeler said: “There was someone doing CPR when we arrived. Basically he probably just suffocated. It got lodged in his throat and they couldn’t get it out.
“It all happened within minutes. I think everybody was pretty well shocked about it.”
The Rapid City Journal newspaper described the death as putting ‘a damper on the festivities’ and organisers are considering changes to the competitive eating contest next year.
Friend Ardis McRae told the paper: “Walter was just being Walter, having fun when he entered this contest. He was just having a good time.”
She added that he made people smile and was an outgoing person.